Primary Responsibilities and Work Objectives
- With oversight by the VP-Management Systems, lead the design framework for a revised M&E process across the organization.
- Articulate goals and functions of the M&E system, as well as its objectives and limitations.
- Ensure proposed designs meet international best practice standards, fulfills donor requirements, and adequately monitors and evaluates AWF’s programs in the context of the organization’s strategic goals.
- Develop resource requirements for proposed design (both financial and human).
- Work with the internal M&E committee to ensure proposed designs integrate across field offices and HQ to report comprehensively on strategy results.
- Work with the Program Design team and field program managers to ensure proposed designs adequately fulfill donor reporting requirements.
- Work with senior managers and department heads to determine staff requirements for M&E system implementation.
- Work with VP-Management Systems on M&E system proposals and presentations for AWF Board of Trustees review and approval.
- Work with Program Design team to develop standard M&E system descriptions, process descriptions and budget needs for inclusion in all future proposals.
- Develop system rollout plan and related training on the M&E system for AWF staff.
Monitoring: Process Implementation and Field Support
- Oversee overall rollout and implementation of the M&E system across the organization.
- Monitor program implementation and make recommendations on adjustments and modifications where necessary.
- Work with field office managers and department heads to address M&E implementation challenges.
- Monitor system adherence by all stakeholders, ensuring data is collected on time, entered into the system correctly, and verified for data errors.
Evaluation: Data collection and analysis
- Work with project teams to ensure accuracy of data collection at the project level as part of implementation of the M&E system.
- Analyze and compile data across business units.
- Evaluate data to highlight trends (positive and negative) and forewarn of potential challenges or risks to the success of either implementation or impact.
- As part of an adaptive management process, recommend improvements to AWF’s Strategic Conceptual Model, based on programmatic monitoring, evaluation, and lessons learned.
- Provide inputs, analysis, and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to Management Systems Group, ensuring the data quality and integrity of all information reported.
Learning: Dissemination of results
- Design and produce reports (both internal and external) based on M&E data collected.
- Ensure intelligence from data analysis is incorporated into future strategy development.
- Assist program teams and the Program Design department with M&E information and outputs for donor reporting.
- Provide comprehensive quarterly internal reporting.
- Assist VP-Management Systems to prepare relevant reports to guide program planning and reviews.
- Participate in annual program reviews and planning workshops, advising program teams based on evaluation results.
- Participate in program inception meetings to ensure adequate adherence to M&E system and related protocols.
- Work with VP-Management Systems on impact presentations to AWF Board of Trustees and other key stakeholders.
- Work with Marketing and field teams to support the development of publications based on AWF program results and impacts.
- Develop ad hoc reports based on M&E data as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in technology, natural resource management, data management or related fields.
- At least 5 years of work experience in M&E system implementation, and or development program evaluation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current monitoring, evaluation and learning standards plus best practices.
- Prior experience within an M&E department of a non-governmental organization, non-profit, or other grant-based institution is an advantage.
- Current understanding of M&E requirements of major bilateral and multilateral donors (including US Agency for International Development, UK Agency for International Development, European Union).
- Proficiency in data analysis and analytical reporting, gathering intelligence from disparate sets of data.
- Prior experience in data collection in remote field locations in Africa preferred.
- Prior experience in database development, structured query language (SQL), business intelligence/data visualization, and other technical subject areas considered advantageous.
- Ability to work with diverse teams, to build consensus, and to ensure adherence to protocols.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, flexibility, and cultural sensitivity. Knowledge of French, Kiswahili and/or local languages is an advantage.
- Patience, listening skills, diplomacy, and a sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel at least 25% of the time, often to remote field office sites in Africa.
- Commitment to conservation and wildlife protection in Africa.