To ensure effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receive demand letters, summons and statutory notices on behalf of the company advice and action on the best way forward in liaison with Claims department.
- Appoint external advocates to defend frivolous claims in court immediately the company is served with summons.
- Assess genuine claims that can be settled out of court upon receipt of demand letters, and initiate negotiations with third party advocates to save the company on costs.
- Provide a legal opinion on all matters filed in court or being negotiated out of court.
- Liaise with brokers or directly with insured persons to ensure that external advocates have all the required supporting documents to defend the company.
- Upon analysis of a claim, Issue appropriate instructions to external Advocates to ensure expedient settlement of claims.
- Assessment of Advocates fee notes to ensure that they are in line with the provisions of the Advocates Remuneration Order.
- To check and confirm if a claim is statutorily time barred under tort or contract before accepting service of summons.
- Review of all outstanding claims on a semi-annual basis.
- Ensure recoveries are pursued aggressively against negligent third parties and liaise with lawyers in the panel on matters that are in court.
- Manage external lawyers on a day to day basis and ensure that the cases in court are handled in the best interests of the company.
- Review all contracts and any other documentation where the company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the management’s attention.
- Prepare, review, negotiate and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
- Post graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
- Admission as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least 4 years relevant experience in the Insurance industry.
- Good questioning, negotiating and influencing s& communication skills
- Have own initiative and use the corporate claims philosophy effectively
- Have the experience to know when it’s best to deal with a matter on a compromise basis or when a defense is more likely to be successful
- Ability to make decisions quickly and confidently.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Ms Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- In depth knowledge of internal systems (Turn-quest)
- Team player with high customer awareness skills