The position is responsible for achieving business growth by meeting new business targets. To achieve this, through his/her own initiative and through his/her team, find potential new customers, present to them, ultimately convert them into clients, train them and continue to grow the business. He/she will also help manage existing clients and ensure they stay satisfied and positive.
The position involves developing a micro-insurance business development team with the aim of ensuring business growth, enforcing effective credit control, delivery of set loss ratio and building and maintaining customer relationships as per the organization’s customer charter.
KEY PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and constantly updating underwriting service standards and manuals in line with the customer service charter;
- Managing the business portfolio through prudent underwriting in order to achieve the targeted business mix and loss ratio;
- Liaising with other business units to ensure business procured is compliant with company underwriting guidelines i.e. pricing, risk, legal etc.;
- Achieving departmental service standards in processing, approval and release of crucial documents within set Turn Around times. These include quotations, debit/credit notes and policy documents;
- Building and strengthening business relationships with existing and prospective clients to achieve performance targets;
- Supporting the collection of outstanding premium within the credit control policy;
- Exploring opportunities presented by the market and coming up with creative ideas to help in the development of innovative products and solutions that meet customer needs;
- Complying with statutory, regulatory and internal control processes at the business units including internal and external audit recommendations;
- Developing micro insurance unit budget and business plans to achieve the set company targets;
- Entrenching performance based appraisal of departmental staff in line with their set KPIs and departmental targets;
- In liaison with HOD, conduct market research and explore opportunities presented by the market to develop innovative micro insurance products and solutions that meet customer needs;
- Participating in company CSR and brand building activities in liaison with other departments;
- Training, coaching and mentoring staff in order to improve performance and cohesion within the department;
- Implementing micro insurance interdepartmental SLA in liaison with other departmental heads;
- Participating in departmental meetings, projects and committees as assigned.
- Develop business unit budget and business plans to achieve the set company targets;
- Entrench performance based appraisal of departmental staff in line with their set KPIs and departmental targets;
- Participate in company CSR and brand building activities in liaison with other departments;
- Train, coach and mentor staff in order to improve performance and cohesion within the department; and
- Participate in department meetings, projects and committees as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Marketing/Micro insurance/Entrepreneurship/Public relations or an equivalent.
- Diploma in Micro insurance/Micro Finance/ACII
- Member of a relevant professional body
- At least 10 years relevant experience with at least 4 years managerial experience
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proposal writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Excellent market and industry knowledge