Reporting to the Program Director (Pharmacy Program), in the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall maintenance, cleanliness and order in the laboratory and will assist the Laboratory Technologist in the day-to-day activities of the laboratory.
- Assisting in preparation of reagents, preservative solutions, samples and specimen for practical classes and examinations.
- Assisting in identification, collection, handling and preservation of samples and specimen
- Noting of breakages and other incidences in the laboratories on incidence reports
- Maintenance of laboratory records and inventory for supplies, reagents & equipment
- Maintenance of a clean and sanitary working area in accordance with WHO’s Good Laboratory Practices; and general maintenance of laboratory
- Ensuring the return of all solutions, chemicals and apparatus used in laboratory exercises.
- Assembling supplies and constructing apparatus; setting up and assisting in conducting classroom experiments and demonstrations.
- Storage of supplies and equipment; disposing of solutions, used samples and specimen according to guidelines; and keeping storerooms and working areas orderly and clean.
- Remain abreast of any legislative or industry changes and adjustments that may materially affect health and safety management within the anatomy laboratory
- Cleans up after each lab session by washing, and if necessary, sterilizing tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Maintenance of sharps containers and disposable biological waste in accordance with facility protocol.
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Diploma In Medical Laboratory Sciences/ Biological Sciences plus 2 years’ experience as a technician at a University OR Certificate in Medical Laboratory Sciences/ Biological sciences plus 4 years’ experience as a technician at a University;
- Certificate in Mortuary Sciences from an accredited university with experience in preparations of human anatomy /pathology specimen;
- Registration by relevant regulatory body;
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability