The Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Planning) will be one of the principal assistants to the Vice Chancellor. He/she will head the Administration, Finance and Planning Division and will be responsible for management of physical and financial resources of the University. He/she will also be responsible for infrastructure and development matters to achieve the University’s goals, objectives and agreed performance targets.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor shall:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies and appropriate procedures to ensure efficient performance and delivery of services in the University;
- Co-ordinate and advice the management on matters relating to labour relations, union matters, promotions, discipline, employee services, staff welfare-related issues;
- Establish and maintain effective workable systems for regular monitoring and evaluation of the performance, quality of service, relevance and efficiency of all planning, finance and development units;
- Co-ordinate the preparation of statutory financial statements and management reports for planning and decision making;
- Co-ordinate physical infrastructure planning and development as well as monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversee the implementation of the Master Plan and Procurement Plans;
- Co-ordinate preparation of Budget and management of expenditure;
- Provide leadership in the management of the planning and partnership activities of the University;
- Establish strategic linkages with government/regulatory agencies and other local/international institutions;
- Co-ordinate the design and implementation of appropriate human resource systems which will attract, develop and retain competitive human resource capital;
- Co-ordinate the University’s Income Generating Activities;
- Co-ordinate Catering Services, Estates Management, Staff Health Care Services, maintenance and repair of existing facilities; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned or delegated by the Vice Chancellor.
For appointment to the position of Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Planning), the applicant must meet the following qualifications
- Must hold an earned PhD from a recognized University and preferably be a full or associate Professor.
- Have at least eight (8) years hands-on academic and research experience at senior level, and possess demonstrable managerial ability and capacity for leadership in an academic and/or research institution;
- Possess an outstanding and internationally recognized scholarship record as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal publications and university-level books or book chapters;
- Have demonstrable ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate the administration, finance and planning functions in the University;
- Possess demonstrable knowledge of and experience in strategic planning and implementation of physical and human resource development functions;
- Have knowledge of Finance and/or Accounting;
- Have demonstrable experience in networking, fundraising and resource mobilization in an academic/research institution;
- Possess corporate governance skills, interpersonal and communication skills, high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism;
- Have thorough knowledge of current national, regional and global trends in the development and provision of higher education;
- Comply with the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya on Leadership and Integrity.
- Must be able to articulate Islamic values in all aspects of the University Management.