SNV will be tendering for a donor-funded multi-country Programme in Sub Saharan Africa (14 countries), which is anticipated later this year and will focus on Off-Grid Renewable Energy market development with a strong emphasis on consumer awareness, private sector development and creating an enabling environment for Solar Home Systems markets.
Overview of the Position
The Quality Assurance & Certification Expert will set-up or further develop an existing quality assurance programme for pico-solar products, including a quality testing framework, and promote adoption by governments, businesses and consumers and coordinate with other large off-grid solar programmes. The Expert will work in close coordination with Lighting Africa, which has developed a quality assurance framework in order to protect consumers and prevent the eroding of confidence in off-grid products in the process. This framework includes test methods, quality standards, and a product testing and verification program that has evaluated 225 off-grid solar products since 2009.
This position reports to the Team Leader of the programme and works with Country Focal Points and other experts.
- Set-up or further develop an existing quality assurance programme for pico-solar products aiming to set a baseline level for quality, durability and to ensure truth in advertising in order to create trust in the market and products;
- Implement measures to avoid market spoilage from infiltration of low-quality products;
- Support quality assurance market surveillance activities, including market check testing of products that meet the Lighting Global Quality Standards;
- (Further) develop a quality testing framework to verify that quality assured products that are delivered to the market continue to meet the standards over time;
- Promote adoption of a quality standard by governments and businesses and coordinate with other large off-grid solar programmes;
- Actively promote the use of quality standards to supply chain actors such as product distributors and micro-finance institutions;
- Regular engagement with stakeholders and policy-makers regarding implementation of the quality assurance strategy;
- Stimulate promotion among customers;
- Support product development to a range of aspirational products that can help consumers in moving up the energy ladder.
- Academic qualification in engineering, energy or business;
- Experience working in private sector development/enabling programmes, demonstrating a strong understanding of consumer markets;
- Experience in setting up quality assurance programmes and promoting quality certificates;
- Experience working in off-grid renewable energy preferred;
- Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is essential;
- Strong networking and communication skills.