SNV Ethiopia works together with local partners to provide technical expertise in three sectors: WASH, Energy and Agriculture, thereby contributing to finding local solutions to global challenges and sowing seeds of lasting change. The WASH program in Ethiopia contributes to extending access to Water and Sanitation and improving Hygiene with a focus on four WASH products:
• Sustainable Sanitation and Hygiene for All in rural areas;
• Urban sanitation and hygiene for health and development (USHHD);
• Functionality of Rural Water Supply Services; and
• Urban water supply services in peri-urban and small towns.
SNV Ethiopia implements WASH programmes across two broad themes: 1) Rural WASH and 2) Urban and peri-urban WASH. For rural sanitation, the aim is to improve access to and encourage correct, consistent use of household sanitation and hygiene facilities to help Ethiopians gain sustainable access to improved, affordable sanitation and hygiene, and ensure that people live in open-defecation free (ODF) environment. For urban sanitation, SNVs work includes being a market facilitator to help Ethiopians to set–up services for human waste management through collaboration between the public, private sectors and communities. Current programmes include five WASH projects in different regions, zones and woredas, funded by various donors such as DFID, USAID, AFAS Foundation and Woord en Daad. There is also the six project entitled as WASH for Trachoma Elimination (WASHTRA) in five Zones of Oromia region. The position is contingent upon funding and expected to start in the first of April 2018 in partnership with Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) with back donor Australian Aid.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Ethiopia to advance SNV’s high-quality WASH programme.
The WASH Sector Leader/WASHTRA Project Manager
- Is responsible for the overall quality of the WASH programme content, business development, networking and partnership, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and overall management of the SNV WASH programmes in Ethiopia;
- Will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the national and subnational WASH sector.
- The WASHTRA project manager/Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country-level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, provide technical support, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Technical support: provide technical support in rural WASH; peri-urban and urban WASH sub- areas, providing content leadership in supply chain strengthening, demand creation and financial inclusion.
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programs in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners;
- Contribute to SNV Ethiopia Management as a member of the Country Management Team (CMT).
- Education: Have relevant advanced academic qualification. At least master’s degree in Public Health with Environmental Health Background, Hydraulic or WASH Engineering;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery (specifically in our WASH products: urban, peri-urban and rural water supply or sanitation) including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably at national level;
- Affinity with the legal & institutional framework for Water & Sanitation service delivery in the country;
- Proven work experience in demand creation, supply chain strengthening and financial inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to work at high levels, and contribution to WASH innovation and policy;
- Experienced in leading complex assignments, setting benchmarks for results, and monitoring quality of the WASH sector team advisory services;
- National work experience and ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large-scale comprehensive projects;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English and local languages required;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Contract Type: National
Contract Duration: 24-months initial term (with possible extension pending funding)
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Information Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia