National Oil Corporation of Kenya is desirous of recruiting a qualified professional to the position of General Manager, Upstream Operations. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the ideal candidate will provide leadership in the Exploration and Production of Petroleum in implementation of the Government of Kenya’s mandate through planning, organizing, directing and staffing of the upstream division.
- Formulating and implementing the upstream strategy.
- Administering petroleum legislation, regulations, production sharing agreements and policies;
- Overseeing compliance and adherence to company policies, procedures and systems, statutory requirements, EHS standards and international conventions on oil & gas exploration;
- Identifying opportunities for strategic partnerships with international companies of good global standing for transfer of technological know-how and skills for rapid business growth;
- Constitute and administer teams to conduct internal exploration programmes and lead in JV and other projects interactions;
- Overall responsible for all evaluations and interpretations of the Corporation’s geo-scientific data;
- Preparing, implementing and monitoring the annual departmental budget;
- Preparing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on the annual departmental business plans in line with Corporate Strategic Plan and performance targets;
- Providing technical support in negotiation and evaluation of work programmes;
- Facilitating and monitoring exploration activities in liaison with Ministry of Energy & Petroleum;;
- Promoting exploration acreage in liaison with Ministry of Energy &Petroleum;
- Providing timely advice on resources including people, training, consultancy, equipment, finances, required to support foreseen changes in the Upstream operations;
- Spearheading the development of human resource capacity development in all phases of the exploration and production cycle with a long-term perspective in outlook and ensure the development of managers including effective succession planning.
- Giving oversight in ensuring that our exploration and production activities on the ground uphold the Corporation’s image by mitigating factors that will result in conflict with communities on site or any litigation; and
- Coaching, mentoring and developing the senior exploration and production team to ensure optimal performance and effective succession planning in the Department.
- Master’s degree in any of the following fields - Geoscience, Geochemistry, Engineering or other science related discipline.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Geology, Geophysics, Geochemistry, Engineering or any related field.
- Diploma or certificate in petroleum operations and development from recognized institutions shall be an added advantage.
- Diploma or certificate in Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) shall be an added advantage. Experience ·
- At least twelve (12) years of relevant experience in Exploration,
- five (5) of which should have been at a senior management level handling petroleum Exploration and Production responsibilities
- Proven background in Petroleum Exploration, Development, Production and Appraisal
- Demonstrated experience in asset development
- Possess Strong fundamentals in E&P including: subsurface geosciences and Engineering, Surface Facilities and well versed in commercial and regulatory aspects of Petroleum development.
- Proven intellectual leadership in managing people, operations and financial resources;
- Proven ability to think strategically and design long term plans
- Strong supervision, coaching and mentoring skills
- Well-developed verbal, written and communication skills
- Strong organizational and coordination skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills