One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional individual to join our Business Development team at either the manager or associate level to be based in Nairobi, Kenya and actively contribute to One Acre Fund’s ambitious goal of more than doubling our raised revenue by 2020. This role will build out and further relationships with a pipeline of some of our highest-value opportunities from bilaterals, multilaterals, and private foundations outside the US.
- Build and manage a high-value portfolio of existing donors and potential new prospects in targeted segments as part of the implementation of our bilateral/ multilateral and private non-US giving business development strategy. For example:
- Identify, research, and maintain a robust pipeline of potential prospects
- Develop relationships with new prospective funders in targeted segments to develop successful funding proposals to support the organization, shepherding proposals through all required stages and decision-making processes
- Steward existing donor relationships in the targeted segments to manage the required reporting and continued development of successful proposals
- Over time, grow a team to handle end-to-end donor management, from research to stewardship to proposal writing to reporting and compliance.
- Develop strong fluency in agricultural development, poverty alleviation, and One Acre Fund’s activities and impact in order to support external representation and donor stewardship and build excitement about our work among donor communities
- Represent One Acre Fund at conferences and donor meetings, as needed
- Host our key donors visiting Africa as part of the stewardship process
- Support the business development team with internal coordination and process improvement
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders and partners (Policy, Communications, Field, and Finance teams)
- Collaborate with Business Development management and other team members to proactively improve processes, tools, and ways of working
- Keep organized. We are not a boss-employee culture. We would like to hire someone who can manage his or her own work, and will truly own the role.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
We are seeking a professional with 8+ years of work experience and demonstrated passion for a career in international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Top–performing academic background. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated senior leadership experiences at or outside of work.
- Genuine passion for international development. We are seeking someone who is truly passionate about providing opportunity to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Past experience in international development and/or fundraising is a plus: The ideal candidate will have past experience in international fundraising, or project/reporting experience with bilaterals and multilaterals.
- Strong ability to understand business. We would like to hire someone who will truly understand our operations, and be able to communicate about them simply and effectively.
- Past experience in a fast-paced, relationship-driven work environment, such as management consulting, is a plus.
- Professional/technical skills: Advanced proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel; and professional effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, prioritization skills are necessary.
- Experience with SalesForce is a plus
- People-orientation. We are seeking someone with demonstrated experience in relationship building and excellent communications and presentation skills. This skill is particularly important as the role will be partially externally facing.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- Willingness to be based in Nairobi and willingness to travel. This role is based in Nairobi, Kenya and will have up to 20-30% travel, within Africa and other international destinations. Dates of travel are highly variable.
- Language: English fluency required (written and spoken); French is a bonus, Swahili is a bonus
The following personal attributes are desired:
- A deep commitment to serving the poor.
- A passion for One Acre Fund's program
- Comfort and experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and locations.
- High energy level, and a personable, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic, and respectful demeanor.
- Proven ability to serve as a team player and leader able to motivate and inspire staff and colleagues.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- A sense of humor.