The Enterprise Development Manager position contributes to the Heifers strategic priority of scaling up the impact of our work through the development of strong and sustainable farmer business organizations. Reporting to the Director of Programs the Enterprise Development Manager will be responsible for ensuring that project participants, self-help groups, cooperatives, and associations have the knowledge and skills to develop and run successful enterprises and cooperatives. In close collaboration and coordination with the Project Coordinators, He/she will ensure successful, innovative, efficient, and effective functioning of all enterprise hubs and cooperatives in the Kenya Country Program through effective business planning, business training and developing private sector linkages in collaboration with other departments towards achieving the common goal.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Self-starter, innovative and entrepreneurial with strong self-management skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
(including approximate percentage effort)
Provide strategic inputs into all the Country Programme Business Development Work (40%).
- Review and develop strategic plans, output and goals within the first 6 months.
- Annually update and track the progress towards the business goals and plans for Kenya in dairy, poultry and beef programme areas.
- Develop and annually update a list of partnerships with business organizations, academic institutions, experts and trainers to be employed in the capacity building of partners, cooperatives and farmers.
- On biannual basis, support the Training Manager to review and process training material and ensure the effectiveness of the Heifer Kenya Business training Programs.
- Coordinate and document all the economic analysis and value chain studies for the country projects for the all new and proposed projects including K-MAP, Food for All and DANIDA.
- Develop an appropriate training package for business training for the Country Programme that includes 4 modules in business planning, business skills, strategic planning and entrepreneurship training modules for use by the Country Program in training producer organizations, farmer groups and farmers.
- Support the operation and tracking of business and marketing plans for all the 5 current projects producer organizations through joint planning, monitoring, and collaboration with the Training Manager, Animal Well-being Manager and Project Coordinators.
- Design and develop for each of Heifer Kenya current (5) and proposed (2) projects that models for business implementation and contribute to the establishment of functional market structures for all projects (Collection Centers, Processing Units, Chilling and Bulking Centers) as appropriate to the commodities of the projects.
Provide governance and management of farmers, producer organizations and cooperatives (30%).
- Facilitate and develop a coherent country programmed and process for engaging with self- help groups, clusters and pre-cooperative associations to develop strong farmer producer organizations.
- Design Country programme guidelines for the formation, management and governance of self-help groups, cooperatives and associations.
- Design and develop a Capacity Building Programme to deliver governance, strategic planning, financial management, conflict management and human resource management training to boards, management and staff for groups, associations and cooperatives in the Heifer Kenya Country Programmes.
- Design, and annually review the capacity assessment process to be employed by the Country Programme in engaging groups, associations and cooperatives.
- Develop an institutional framework for cooperatives and cooperative associations and other apex entities with clear linkages with the individual cooperatives and SHGs.
- Monitor and provide a semi-annual tracking report of the growth and development in governance, management and overall development of all self-help groups, cooperatives and associations in the Kenya Country Projects.
Develop strong values and principle amongst groups, association and cooperatives (20%).
- Develop linkages with the relevant national and county governments to support the registration, training and compliance with cooperative and groups operation guideline for all Heifer Kenya producer groups, cooperatives and associations.
- Support and guide all the cooperatives under the current 5 projects to conduct quarterly PSRPs reinforcing values and tracking overall cooperative growth and development.
- Facilitate the development of a cooperative/producer association values and principles orientation kit that incorporates Heifer’s Cornerstones.
Collaboration towards a common goal (10%).
- Work as an integral part of the Heifer Kenya team in close coordination with the Project Coordinators, Training Manager and Animal Wellbeing Manager and the Programmed Director to contribute to the achievement of Heifer Kenya’s business goals.
- Participate in the new project design and in the implementation of all Heifer Kenya enterprise development related Training of Trainers activities.
- Work in close coordination with the Project Coordinators and Animal Well-Being Manager on quality assurance and control for all livestock-based products for processing, packaging, marketing, and distribution.
- Develop increased knowledge and understanding of Heifer International programs through participation in cross learning and biannual co-mentoring activities to exchange experiences with other countries and programs on the issues of hunger and poverty.
Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Knowledge of and experience in agro-enterprise, commodity value-chain and cooperative development.
- Knowledge of and experience with or within community organizations.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Fluent in national language/s and English, both spoken and written.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Skills with Microsoft Office Suite, internet browser, and other appropriate technology.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully.
- Ability to integrate financial services within a value chain with the view to foster trust and build strong relationship between chain actors and financial service providers.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to individuals and groups.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner, especially in high-pressure situations.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Constant sitting, standing and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork and cooperation.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
Required Experience Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agribusiness or Agricultural Economics.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in fields related to agro-enterprise development (specifically livestock enterprises) and cooperative development.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Enterprise Development or other related field, plus five (5) years in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ management level work experience.
- Significant experience in building public/private partnerships, preferably in the dairy sector.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting business, investment analyses, and capital budgeting and sufficient evidence on how the results were used to develop potentially viable business ideas and subsequently tangible businesses.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and innovate within the dairy industry.