Purpose of the position:
To increase the overall influence, income and impact of World Vision Kenya for child well-being by leading core communications and media functions. The incumbent is responsible to manage the planning and production of compelling and issues-oriented fundraising, advocacy and publicity content (web-based, electronic, print and video) for effective donor and public engagement by WV Kenya – both in-country and internationally.
In order to successfully execute this purpose, the position holder must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
Communications & Media team management for influence, income and impact 15%
- Contribute strategically to development and implementation of the WVK Communications Strategy and strategically support documentation and resource generation strategy.
- Planning & production of compelling content for print, digital and online publications, including writing and editing of internal and external publications, website, presentations and other forms of communication;
- Effectively manage communication projects, job flow and delegation, and provide consistent on-time progress reporting to communication partners and stakeholders
- In collaboration with WVK heads of departments/projects, support Communications Manager’s proactive partnerships to increase quality and impact of communication initiatives and components;
- Deputize Communications Manager as required
- Management of content creation, editing and social media roles for effective team work and efficient collaboration
- Provide accurate and timely management reports including Share Story Status, Sponsorship 2.0 and C4D progress reports Web presence, Social Media Engagement, Publication Reports and MMR as required
Quality Field Communications content for influence, income and impact 50%
- Review and edit all publications produced by the organization to ensure consistency, clarity and brand alignment;
- Plan, source, write and edit compelling evidence based content for influence, income and impact in the following areas:
Programme Communications – compelling evidence-based child-focused stories from the field for marketing and fundraising
Advocacy Communications- compelling content in partnership with Advocacy that enhances the impact of WV Kenya’s advocacy campaigns and work.
PDGA Communications- ensuring donor visibility requirements for grant funded projects are met and that quality success stories are shared.
- Provide communications resources in the event of a humanitarian emergency;
- Prepare thoroughly researched briefings for partnership internal and external requests;
- Manage WV Kenya’s online presence on partnership platforms e.g wvcentral, wvi.org, wvrelief and intranet;
- Take lead and optimize Social media engagement and vibrant presence across partnership communications and media platforms.
- Ensure key communications protocols (child protection, media engagement and protection of the vulnerable) are adhered.
- Ensure the secure and catalogued management of all communications digital assets and media in National and Partnership servers.
Media Engagement to mobilize publics for social and policy change 25%
Set strategic direction for engaging media that will enhance the reputation and influence of publics for social and policy change
Establish and maintain relationships with national media contacts and develop champions of children’s issues, for greater organisational influence
Maintain database of journalists and special interests
Media Relations; ensure quality stories and messages are broadcast regularly on traditional and online media platforms.
Provide guidance for media spokespersons on the organization’s media guidelines and Child Protection policy.
Plan and implement press briefings including press releases
Monitor news relating to childrens’ rights and other development issues from print and broadcast media and identify possible response opportunities for each issue
Quality sponsorship 2.0 products to gain and retain sponsors for enhanced child well-being in Kenya 5%
- Strengthen the capacity of programme staff to efficiently deliver effective resources to WV Kenya’s Support Officers.
- Coordinate implementation of Sponsorship 2.0 production assignments.
- Monitor and report progress and quality of Sponsorship communications products
- Participate in regular meetings with Sponsorship enhancement teams.
- Support improvement and innovation process of Sponsorship communications products.
- Communications for Development (C4D): In collaboration with ICT for development and Knowledge Management team as appropriate to build communication skills of local communities for community voice efforts and repurpose content for internal and external audiences.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communication, or equivalent; Master’s degree is an added advantage
- Minimum five years’ experience working with communications and media in international NGOs or large Media Companies, two of which must be in supervisory level; Experience in fundraising and publishing will be an added advantage
- High standard of copy and sub editing skills with proven ability to write creatively and edit communication narratives or resources and reports.
- Excellent computer skills; Graphic Design and desktop publishing skills an added advantage
- Fluency in English and ability to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting and motivating manner
- Proven experience of training and capacity building in journalism, media engagement, video or communications.
- Knowledge of the principles of good design, content and editing
- Excellent communications skills and understanding of new and multi media
- Thorough knowledge of the communication and media industry with strong media links
- Must have good photography skills.
- Working independently and as an active team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with a wide range of internal and external contacts.
- Familiarity with or knowledge about international development – preferred
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Must be flexible, ready to travel, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Must have a good command of both spoken and written English.
- Strong analytical skills