Purpose of the position:
To provide coordination on Water feasibility studies, participate in design of water projects and Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), for projects supported by World Vision Kenya; Ensure effective stakeholder engagement at the national level of the organization, and well-coordinated implementation of sustainable WASH and other WVK development initiatives that meet government and international environmental standards and regulations.
In order to successfully do so, the office holder must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
Engineering Design and supervision, 50%
- In collaboration with other design team members ,carryout feasibility studies of new initiated project
- In collaboration with other design team members ,coordinate Engineering surveys of new initiated project
- In collaboration with other design team members ,coordinate Engineering design of new initiated project
- In collaboration with other design team members ,carryout supervision of designed projects being implemented to ensure they meet the requisite thresholds as per the design
- Coordinate assessments, designs, measurements of construction and in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures in liaison with NO WASH team and other relevant partners.
- Review relevant engineering surveys, assessments, evaluations, studies, designs and terms of reference and bills of quantities from the relevant ADPs to ensure effective project delivery
- Review tender documents for WASH and construction before forwarding to supply chain management for invitation of bids and review and analysis of bids before tabling at Central Tender Committee (CTC)
EIA/ESIA Business Processes, Studies, Reporting and Compliance, 20%
- Develop EIA/ESIA implementation guidelines on Environmental Impact Assessment and Mitigation
- Coordinate EIA/ESIA studies and reports for boreholes, water pans, water dams, water pipelines, tanks, classrooms, offices, dispensaries and other infrastructure projects as supported by WVK in all Area Development Programme (ADPs) in Kenya as per NEMA requirement.
- Preparation of EIA/ESIA reports including impact, identification, evaluation and formulation of mitigation measures and development of Environmental Management Plans (EMP)
- Review of ESIA reports for WVK supported projects and submit to NEMA for approval and follow-up on issuance of licenses.
- Developing guidelines to be used in engaging external consultants to do EISA for World Visions
- Coordinate and provide leadership in all planned and undertaken EIAs/ESIAs for projects supported by World Vision Kenya.
- Ensure EMPs are implemented for all infrastructures projects in liaison with all relevant stakeholders and ADPs
Program Monitoring and Reporting, 15%
- Ensuring that Environmental management plans and impact mitigation are implemented in all the projects
- Support WASH team in quarterly review, and experience sharing meetings with the region (especially the WASH Learning Centers).
- Review the design document to ensure programme plans meet sector standards for better practice in that technical area.
- Confirm that the design meets national office programme design quality standards, including addressing cross-cutting issues.
- Develop and implement protocols for coordinating communication between ministry units (Operation, Regional offices, IPAs) and Support Offices, key international and national donors and other stakeholders.
Advocacy, Engagement and networking, 5%
- Ensure effective linkages with Ministry of Water, Environment and Natural Resources, National Environmental Management Authority and Water Resources Management Authority
Resource Acquisition, 5%
- Fundraising for the Design unit by charging projects done.
- Support fundraising team during proposal development upon their request especially on environmental and social issues
Capacity Building, 5%
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- The holder of this position must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalence from a recognized University.
- They must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience with regards to the designing, planning, implementation, supervising and reporting on integrated development, relief and/or advocacy project, Environment or WASH related interventions;
- Must be registered or ongoing with registration with NEMA (National Environment and Management Authority) as Associate or lead expert and any other relevant professional body
- Must be registered with the relevant professional regulatory body and a member of IEK or IET
- The holder of this position must be a results orientated who can handle a heavy work load as well as manage and satisfy multiple and at times conflicting organizational, donor and other stakeholder demands
- He /she must also have ample experience in public relations and be a strong team player.
- Be a registered professional member
- Must be a committed Christian who is able to stand above denominational and cultural diversity challenges;
- Must have outstanding oral and written communications and relationship skills and;
- Must be willing to perform other duties as required