The procurement officer will procure goods and services at the right time, source, quantity, quality, price and ensure delivery at the right place.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements the procurement policies and guidelines; establishes and implements internal controls systems and procedures.
- Reviews, records and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; provides assistance to requisitions in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determines the availability of funding sources.
- Identify and recommend sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers; prepares and maintains database of approved suppliers
- Produces tender documents (e.g. Requests for Qualification, Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, payment terms and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders; obtains credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
- Finalizes purchase orders and contracts for approval in line with delegated signature authority, and, if required, prepares submission for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Handles inbound/outbound logistics, including local marine insurance cover, import documents, PRO1Bs & Cs, Form A and C, in liaison with appointed Insurers, Clearing agents & transporters.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received, demurrage; prepares and signs return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
- Coordinate the disposal of obsolete and surplus materials/assets.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, framework arrangements, etc. Ensures safe custody of the Purchase Orders, Quotations, Correspondences and any other accountable documents.
- Researches, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
- Drafts a variety of correspondence.
- Supervises, assigns and reviews the work of junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in any business related field.
- Diploma from Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) or equivalent certification from a recognized institution.
- Member of KISM
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Over three years’ experience in a busy procurement environment
- Knowledge of Procurement and logistics and related fields
- Reliable and dependable, high level of personal integrity and attention to detail
- Extensive knowledge of ERP systems and related software
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as word, excel, outlook
- Excellent numeracy, literacy and organizational skills
- Excellent customer service and communication skills