The Procurement Assistant will work with a more senior officer to facilitate the procurement of goods and services at the right time, source, quantity, quality, and price and delivery at the right place.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent, within delegated authority, will be responsible for the following duties;
- Implements the procurement policies and guidelines; establishes and implements internal controls systems and procedures.
- Reviews, records and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; provides assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determines the availability of funding sources.
- Identify and recommend sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers; prepares and maintains database of approved suppliers
- Produces tender documents (e.g. Requests for Qualification, Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, payment terms and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Procurement Officer(s); obtains credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
- Finalizes purchase orders and contracts for approval in line with delegated signature authority, and, if required, prepares submission for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Prepares PRO1Bs for duty free purchases, PRO1Cs for disposal of duty free items, form A’s for motor vehicle importation form C’s for motor vehicle registration. Liaises internally with Protocol office and externally with the clearing agents to ensure that imports are cleared at the earliest without incurring additional costs to the Centre.
- Assists in resolving issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received, demurrage; prepares and signs return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
- Verifies supplier invoices, proforma invoices and delivery notes/job completion forms, before submission to Finance for payment.
- Assists in the disposal of obsolete and surplus materials/assets.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, framework arrangements, etc. Ensures safe custody of the Purchase Orders, Quotations, Correspondence and any other accountable documents.
- Drafts a variety of correspondence.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
Required Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in any business related field,
- Diploma from Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) or equivalent certification.
- Member of KISM
Required Skills and Competencies:
- At least 2 years’ experience in a procurement environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Excellent project management skills
- Customer service oriented
- Strong negotiation skills