Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide advisory support on agronomy to both the WFP and cooperating partner teams; assist in the development of agronomy training material.
- Coordinate and facilitate farmer training (both agronomy and non-agronomy based) in consultation with cooperating partner teams.
- Provide advisory support on extension modalities and lead the planning of extension activities.
- Provide advisory support on inputs, including seeds, fertilizers and crop protection.
- Identify target farmer groups and farmer-friendly aggregators by leading the selection and due diligence process; collect, analyze and assess profiles of target farmer groups and their farm business management practice.
- Based on farmer data analysis, identify opportunities to build pro-smallholder staple value chains through partnerships with other key value chain stakeholders (aggregators, extension agents, input suppliers, credit providers and off-takers).
- Facilitate farmer groups and farmer-friendly aggregation entities to access quality markets through forward delivery contracts offered by institutional buyers.
- Facilitate participating farmer groups and farmer-friendly aggregation entities to access agricultural services by coordinating with key value chain stakeholders on the ground.
- Monitor and assist farmer groups and other aggregation entities to adhere to terms of forward delivery contracts facilitated under FtMA.
- Conduct regular field monitoring and proactive troubleshooting visits to FtMA farmer groups.
- Conduct field missions to collect detailed needs assessments of target farmer groups and assist in the identification of opportunities to build further partnerships with other key value chain players on the ground.
- Provide advisory support to cooperating partner field staff in the execution of their duties, as well as coordinate closely during field visits.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and skill
- University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: economics, agriculture, business administration, or a field relevant to agricultural value chain management. An advanced degree in the relevant field is a plus.
- At least five years of experience in agribusiness, either in private sector enterprises or in non-profit value chain related-projects, with a strong exposure to the private sector.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SMEs, pro-smallholder procurement and commercial agriculture models.
- Knowledge of various aspects of financial services and business modelling is a bonus.
- Relevant experience in development and agricultural fields, with emphasis on pro-smallholder approaches; experience in contract-farming approaches; agronomy; and strong understanding of policy analysis, regional trade and marketing.
- Ability to work independently, establish priorities and monitor own work plan with minimum supervision in close coordination with the geographically diversified FtMA team.
- Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with results-oriented private sector partners as well as internal WFP clients.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects proactively and under pressure.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiating skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to frequently travel within the country.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English and Swahili is a must;