JOB PURPOSE:This is a senior level position within IT. The mandate is to initiate and influence project management activities involving the development and implementation of business processes to meet identified business needs, acquiring and utilising the necessary resources and skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales, and quality.
- The individual will be a Manager working closely with Development Manager, Service Delivery, and Infrastructure Manager and under direction of the Head of IT, to achieve Project oriented approach in the implementation of IT Solutions at KEMRI Wellcome Trust.
- Influences the management of resources in order to plan, estimate and carry out Project Management work on time, within budget and implement quality targets in accordance with appropriate standards.
- To act as overall advocate for project management in the Programme. This includes proactively educating and deliver to team members the value gained through the use of consistent project management processes.
- Initiate and influence the development of project management standards and ensure projects are executed on time, within budget and are of desirable quality.
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end, including management of multiple, concurrent projects at various stages of project lifecycle.
- Provide custodianship of the IT Projects Portfolio. Should work with cross functional teams including external consultants and service providers in ensuring IT projects are run in a controlled environment using established project management methodologies and operating procedures.
- To ensure all IT Projects are managed within laid down objectives and targets using Project Management frameworks.
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work
- Provide Project Management Office control and support functions to the IT Projects portfolio. This will involve producing templates, tools and guidelines on specific project assignments.
- To provide training (internal or external) to build core project management competencies and a common set of experiences.
- Takes part in reviews of own work and leads reviews of colleagues work on project deliverables.
- Degree holder, preferably in Business Information Technology or related field
- At least 8 years’ overall work experience working in a robust IT environment and 3 years of Project Management experience
- Good Knowledge of Project Management framework best practices as defined under Prince2 or PMBOK Managing a Project Management Office Ability to implement PMIS and manage projects through the solution
- PMP qualified or PRINCE2 practitioner (Must give evidence of the exam certificate done by an authorised testing body, i.e. Pearson VUE, Prometric, etc.). A Masters Degree will be an added advantage
- Experience in managing enterprise projects across the IT ecosystem i.e. Projects in IT Infrastructure and application development
- Excellent Communicator, written and verbal with a friendly and professional approach
- Clarity of thought
- Good understanding of Project Management Framework
- Troubleshooting capacity of the PMIS environment
- Understanding of an IT Strategy and implications for projects
- Understanding of technical architectural issues
- Clear goal orientation and strong work ethics
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to interact with users in simple non-technical language
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matte