The Program Manager will provide technical input, guidance and leadership on conflict
management and peace-building components of the proposed European Union-funded three
year Collaboration in Cross-Border Areas of the Horn of Africa Region: Southwest Ethiopia –
Northwest Kenya border or the Kenya-Ethiopia-Somalia border. He/she will be responsible for
bringing out best available practices and innovative approaches in implementing the
proposed project in accordance with the EUTF agreement, under the direction of the Team
Leader. The position is based in Lodwar.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Lead in the design and delivery of training curricula on conflict and peace-building themes including: conflict prevention and management; conflict transformation, and understanding cross-border governance systems and dynamics.
- Design, in close collaboration with project partner agencies, focused capacity-building plans for peace structures and state agencies around peacebuilding and conflict management.
- Propose and implement, in conjunction with partner agencies, programming strategies to include women, youth and other minority and marginalized groups and individuals into peace-building processes.
- Lead the partner agencies in working with communities to identify the root causes of conflicts in the conflict systems.
- Design in consultation with the partner agencies and the communities’ suitable innovative interventions that are culturally appropriate to address the root causes of conflicts identified in the conflict systems.
- Provide technical advice and input on monitoring strategies around peacebuilding.
Qualifications and experiences:
- Advanced degree in peace-building and conflict management, social sciences, peace building, international development, political science, or related field;
- Demonstrate more than five (5) years of relevant professional experience managing and implementing peace-building and conflict management projects with experience in the Horn of Africa strongly preferred. A track record in conflict transformation and do-no-harm principles.
- Demonstrate ability to provide actionable, practical technical advice to a range of stakeholders or partner agencies.
- Demonstrate exemplary diplomatic and interpersonal skills.
- Strong track record in working in partnership with diverse organizational stakeholders, developing and implementing appropriate and targeted learning and capacity development activities in support of programmatic partnerships.
- S/he should be able to multi-task, set priorities and work under strict deadlines within a complex team with an awareness and sensitivity to international development issues and diverse cultures.
- Willingness to take initiative and contribute to team efforts, strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and an ability to understand and resolve complex issues.
- Previous experience of EU programs preferred.